Your cart is currently empty!
Did you know that the game of Pickleball was first created in 1965, using table tennis paddles on a badminton court? Its popularity lies in its simple rules and easy-to-learn nature, which makes it a hit among older adults. In fact, many seniors who start playing Pickleball become regular players, thanks to its accessibility and affordability. Plus, it’s a great way to stay social and active. So if you’re a senior looking for a fun and easy-to-learn sport, give Pickleball a try!
Benefits of Playing Pickleball for Seniors
You can find several older and ongoing studies on the internet that support the health advantages of playing pickleball for seniors. All these research-based advantages will provide you with several reasons for playing the popular sport.
1. It provides moderate-intensity exercise: All seniors require around 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise each week. The ongoing movements while playing the game and volleying provide good aerobic activities for your body. If you play pickleball regularly, you will find it provides health benefits for the heart. You can see improvement in cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and cardiorespiratory fitness for seniors.
2. Sharpening of cognitive functions: Extensive research has concluded that being part of challenging or mentally stimulating activities can lead to better cognitive functions. Some kind of exercise, especially similar to open-skill activities, will fit the bill perfectly. It requires you to concentrate on an unpredictable environment. This is possible while playing pickleball as the players have to adapt to changing or dynamic stimuli or the ball. These open-skill exercises are more useful for cognitive functions than other closed-skill exercises, such as swimming and running. A single session of open-skill activities raises your perception and memory, while closed-skill exercises can just enhance the memory.
3. Better mental health: Taking part in a Pickleball game is a good way of boosting your mood. This is extremely useful for older adults. All the research indicates that playing pickleball as a hobby can decrease depression and improve a sense of well-being. Another study linked playing pickleball with raised happiness and social connection in the case of seniors.
4. Improves lower-body function: Playing pickleball regularly can enhance your lower-body function and also improves mobility. In research, a group of senior pickleball players displayed better knee extensor power within 6 weeks of playing the sport. They could improve the veritable jumps. A better knee extensor power indicates more mobility. It is extremely useful for people suffering from osteoarthritis.
5. Better balance and fewer chances of falling: Having problems with balance can lead to impaired stability and increases the chances of falling. There are some good exercises you can do to improve your balance. Pickleball is one of them. Another study indicated that pickleball players aged between 50 and 79 reported fewer falls in their lives away from pickleball. This benefit of playing pickleball is extremely useful for seniors over the age of 65 that have a greater risk of falling.
Pickleball is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country, if not the fastest-growing one. There is a good reason for it. The game is easy to learn and extremely enjoyable to play, especially for older people. Pickleball is useful for physical health, cognitive capabilities, and social interactions. This volley sport can lead to better cognitive function, a better heart, and greater well-being. If you are looking to buy high-quality pickleball equipment in Tampa, FL area, look no further than I&G Pickleball for your requirements.